move the WordPress install to the root directory. keep the WordPress install in the subdomain folder, but rewrite the URLs to display them from the root. use one of the plugins mentioned above to “migrate” the dev site to the root directory then delete the subdomain.
How do I move a WordPress site to a subdomain?
How to Properly Move WordPress From Subdomain to Root Domain
- Create a Complete Backup of Your Website. …
- Moving Your WordPress Files From Subdomain to Root Folder. …
- Change WordPress URL and Site URL Settings. …
- Update URLs. …
- Redirect All Subdomain Traffic to The Root Domain.
How do I move my website to a subdomain?
There are the following steps in this process:
- Backup your original website. …
- Install a fresh WordPress on your (sub)domain where you want to have a copy of your original website.
- Install a All-in-One WP Migration plugin on your original website.
- Export a backup of your original website using this plugin.
How do I move a WordPress site to another domain manually?
Move your WordPress site to another domain
- Step 1 – Verify that your current site is working. …
- Step 2 – Download the files of your website. …
- Step 3 – Export your database. …
- Step 4 – Upload files to your new domain. …
- Step 5 – Import your database. …
- Step 6 – Go to wp_options. …
- Step 7 – Update siteurl and home.
How do I install a WordPress theme on a subdomain?
How to Install WordPress on a subdomain using cPanel
- Step 3: Please type the Subdomain name you want in the text box and click on create to make it live.
- Step 2: Click on WordPress – Install and enter all the information required in the different textboxes.
- Step 4: Select the subdomain from the Choose Domain list box.
Is a subdomain a separate website?
While a subdomain is part of the main website, it’s considered a separate entity by search engines. People recognized this and decided to use subdomains to organize their website, without allowing certain parts of the site to be indexed by Google. Companies use subdomains for a variety of reasons.
Can a subdomain have a different WordPress theme?
It’s possible to use a new theme on a subdomain for WordPress Multisite, but this theme must be installed at the original WordPress installation. The theme will be available across all your subdomains. When installing a theme for Multisite, be sure to choose one that’s built to be robust across a large installation.
How do I move from root to subdirectory in WordPress?
Moving process #
- Create the new location for the core WordPress files to be stored (we will use /wordpress in our examples). …
- Go to the General Screen.
- Click Save Changes. ( …
- Now move your WordPress core files (from root directory) to the subdirectory.
- Copy (NOT MOVE!) the index.
How do I make my subdomain my main domain?
The only thing left to do is to make your new domain primary:
- Click on Domains under Hosting Services.
- Click the Make Primary button next to your newly added subdomain.
- Click on Confirm to make the change.
How do I transfer a large WordPress site?
WP Clone by WP Academy makes it easy to copy and migrate large WordPress sites.
- Download and Install the Plugin. WP Clone can be installed directly from the WordPress dashboard. …
- Create Backup. First stop is to create your site backup. …
- Restored backup-
Can I change my free WordPress domain?
Changing Your WordPress.com Site Address
Go to My Site → Upgrades → Domains and click on your . wordpress.com address. On the Domain Settings page, scroll down to Change Site Address. Click the input field (with the first part of your current site address as a placeholder) and enter the new address you wish to use.
How do I move my website from one host to another?
How to move a website to a new host – step-by-step
- Add your domain name at your new host.
- Move your site’s files using FTP.
- Export your site’s database from your old host.
- Create a new database and import it to your new host.
- Update configuration details if needed.
- Test your site.
- Move custom email addresses.
How do I move my WordPress site?
How to Migrate Your WordPress Site Manually
- Step 1: Choose a New WordPress Host. …
- Step 2: Back Up Your Site’s Files. …
- Step 3: Back Up Your WordPress Database. …
- Step 4: Export Your WordPress Database. …
- Step 5: Create a New SQL Database and Import the Contents of Your Old One. …
- Step 6: Upload Your Site’s Files to the New Web Host.
Do I need to install WordPress on each subdomain?
For example, if you’re using a single site WordPress install, you’d need two separate installs — one for your main domain name and one for the subdomain. You’ll need to add each subdomain as a separate website property in Google Search Console.
How do I setup a multisite subdomain in WordPress?
Create the subsite within your WordPress Multisite website:
- Open your websites wp-admin.
- Navigate to My Sites > Sites ( /wp-admin/network/sites.php )
- Click Add New at the top.
- Fill out all fields: Site Address — Never use “www” Subdomain: siteaddress .yourdomain.com. Subdirectory: yourdomain.com/siteaddress.
How do I access my subdomain?
Accessing the Subdomain Menu
Click the Domains tab at the top of your account. Click On Subdomains on the submenu.